Awards and Prizes
- Accessibility and Digital Composition Award. For the article “Multimodality in Motion: Disability and Kairotic Spaces.” Computers & Composition Digital Press (CCDP), 2014.
- Outstanding Book Award. Conference on College Composition and Communication, 2013.
- Presidential Award for Scholarship (senior faculty division), Spelman College, 2012.
- Society for Disability Studies Irving K. Zola Award for Emerging Scholarship in Disability Studies (runner-up), 2008.
- Pushcart Prize Nomination for Poetry, 2007.
- Walker Gibson Award for best graduate essay in rhetoric/composition, University of Massachusetts, 2001.
- Hopwood Major Fiction Award, University of Michigan, 1996.
Grants and Fellowships
- Research Initiative Grant (co-principal investigator, with Stephanie Kerschbaum) ($10,000). Conference on College Composition and Communication, 2014-2016.
- Developing Welcoming Work Environments in Academic and Mental Health Agency Settings ($6,000). Project grant, carried out with Stephanie Kerschbaum and the Temple University Collaborative on Community Inclusion (Mark Salzer, PI). National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR). 2014.
- Mellon Foundation Faculty Development Grant (principal investigator) ($66,700), 2006- 2008.
- Mellon Fellowship, Future of Minority Studies Summer Seminar, Stanford University, July-August 2006.
- Bush-Hewlett Foundation Fellowship ($2,000), 2004-2005.