National Committees and Caucuses
- Executive Committee, Conference on College Composition and Communication. Elected term 2012-2015.
- Committee on LGBT/Q Issues, Conference on College Composition and Communication. Appointed 2011; ongoing.
- College Section Steering Committee, National Council of Teachers of English. Elected term 2010-2014.
- Local Arrangements Committee, Conference on College Composition and Communication. Appointed 2010-11. Served as the conference’s first Accessibility Coordinator (now a permanent position) and creator of the Atlanta Accessibility Guide.
- Disability Studies Special Interest Group (co-chair), Conference on College Composition and Communication. Co-founded 2008; ongoing.
- Committee on Disability Issues in College Composition, Conference on College Composition and Communication. Appointed 2006; ongoing.
- Irving K. Zola Award Selection Committee, Society for Disability Studies. Appointed 2009 and 2011.
- Program Committee, Society for Disability Studies. Volunteered 2009-2010.
- Chair’s Memorial Scholarship Committee, Conference on College Composition and Communication. Appointed 2005-2006.
- American Quarterly
- College Composition and Communication
- Conference on College Composition and Communication (Stage I Reviewer)
- Disability Studies Quarterly
- National Council of Teachers of English (College Section Reviewer)
- Research in the Teaching of English
Spelman College Program Direction
- Co-Founder and Director, Spelman College Electronic Portfolio Project, 2005-2009. Directorship of this project involved envisioning and implementing a college-wide program for electronic portfolios, as well as obtaining a $66,000 grant from the Mellon Foundation for faculty development. Now in its fifth year, SpEl.Folio is active for all first- and second-year students at Spelman; it is also active for capstone courses in selected majors.
- Interim Director, Comprehensive Writing Program, Spelman College, 2006 and 2012. In addition to maintaining the program’s work in peer tutoring and writing workshops, I brought innovations including a new, freestanding website; visits by scholar/writers including Andrea Lunsford and Eli Clare; and regular drop-in hours in the Writing Center for students to consult with a reference librarian.
Spelman College Standing Committees/Advisory Boards
- Faculty Development Committee, 2010-present.
- Honors Program Committee, 2009-present.
- Office of Disability Services Advisory Board, 2006-present.
- Afrekete (LGBTQA student organization) Advisory Board, 2007-2009.
- Library Committee (chair), 2006-2009.
Spelman College English Department Committee
- Writing Committee, 2004-present.
- Portfolio Committee, 2012-present.
- Senior Celebration Committee, 2004-present.
Spelman College Workshops
- “Composing with Images: Ethics, Rights and Responsibilities.” Student workshop. March 17, 2011; November 7, 2012; slated for March 28, 2013.
- “Plagiarism, Remix and Web 2.0: Theoretical Questions and Pedagogical Strategies.” Faculty development workshop. May 18, 2010.
- “Designing a Programmatic e-Portfolio.” Faculty development/WAC workshop. Honors Program. June 10, 2008.
- “Electronic Portfolio Pedagogy: Designing Assignments, Working with Platforms.” Faculty development/WAC workshop. June 25-26, 2007.
- “Sharing Our Stories” (moderator and participant). Panel of LGBTQA faculty sponsored by Afrekete, Spelman’s LBGTQA student group. April 10, 2007.
- “Composing and Writing Across the Curriculum: Creating and Managing eFolio Assignments.” Faculty development/WAC workshop. August 7-9, 2006.
- “Portfolio Assessment.” Faculty development/assessment/WAC workshop. Co-facilitated with Michael Neal. June 5-9, 2006.
- “The Art of Academic Citation.” Student workshop. October 6, 2004; March 2, 2005; February 14, 2006; March 4, 2008; September 22, 2009.
- “Using Electronic Portfolios in the Classroom.” Faculty development/assessment/WAC workshop. Co-facilitated with Michael Neal and Anne Bradford Warner. June 6-8, 2005.
- “Learning Styles and Tutoring Writing.” Student workshop for Writing Center tutors. February 23, 2005.
- “Focus on Undergraduate Research.” Workshop by the editorial board of Young Scholars in Writing. April 6, 2011. Sponsored by Young Scholars in Writing; Spelman College Comprehensive Writing Program; Spelman College Honors Program.
- “Writing Wheels, Wheeling Movement and Moving Minds.” Lecture and dance demonstration by Alice Sheppard of AXIS Dance Company. March 30, 2010. Sponsored by Spelman College Comprehensive Writing Program, Honors Program, English Department, Drama/Dance Department, Office of Disability Services, and TRUE (Taking Responsibility to Understand Each Other).
- “Copywriting and Advertising with New Media.” Lecture by Gabrielle Johnson, Art Director of BBDO Atlanta. April 10, 2008. Sponsored by Spelman College English Department.
- “Sharing Our Stories.” (Moderator and participant.) Panel presentation by LGBTQA faculty for Afrekete’s annual Day of Silence / Day of Voice. April 10, 2007. Sponsored by Spelman College Women’s Research and Resource Center.
- “Butch Is a Noun.” Workshop by S. Bear Bergman. February 6, 2007. Sponsored by Spelman College Comprehensive Writing Program.
- Workshop and reading by Eli Clare. November 6-7, 2006. Sponsored by Spelman College Comprehensive Writing Program, Honors Program, and English Department.
- Lecture by Andrea Lunsford, Director of the Program in Writing and Rhetoric, Stanford University. October 23, 2006. Spelman College Comprehensive Writing Program.