First-Year Composition (English 103) and Honors Composition (193)
- Course themes include “Network Literacy, Slacktivism, and Community”; “Exploring Normalcy”; and “Reading Fast and Slow.”
- A recent 103 syllabus
- Sample exercise: Four Hours Off (link to blog with assignment and student work).
- Sample exercise: Research Tritina. Click to read a tritina by Taylor Williams Hamilton.
- A recent arc of essay assignments
Research Methods in Writing (English 286)
- Course themes include “Investigating Social Media”; “Black Women and the U.S. Presidential Election”
- A recent 286 syllabus
- Sample exercise: Guide to Analyzing a Research Write-Up
- Sample exercise: Research Memo on Data Analysis
Argumentation (English 287)
- Course themes include “Argumentation in the 21st Century”; “Argumentation and Emotion”
- A recent 287 syllabus
- Sample assignment: Visual Analysis of ‘We Are the 99 Percent’ Tumblr. Click students’ names to view posters by Alana Rollins, Alexandra Moreland, Dana King, Evan Lewis, Kamille Williams, and Sylonda Lang.
Rhetorics of Advertising (English 384a)
- A recent 384a syllabus
- Sample assignment: Re/mediating Aunt Jemima
- Sample assignment: Sustainable Spelman Poster Project
Composing Disability, Health and Wellness (English 389) – New in Spring 2014
Creative Nonfiction Writing Workshop (English 391)
- Course themes include “Creative Nonfiction in Digital Space”
- A recent 391 syllabus
- Sample assignment: Infographic. Click students’ names to view infographics by Chris Sparks, Malcolm Hunter, Adamma Ebo.
Writing in Professional Contexts (English 453)
- A recent 453 syllabus
- Sample assignment: Professional Digital Portfolio. Click students’ names to view portfolios by Rae’Johne Smith, Anita Foster, and Alex Ebanks.
Independent Study: Writing and Disability (English 452)
- Themes include “Writing and Depression”; “The Psychology of Creative Writing”
- Student publication: Drawn Out of Dejection by Timile Brown